Home Blog Blog Uncategorized Turkish Court Halts Khashoggi Trial, Transfers It to Saudi Arabia

Turkish Court Halts Khashoggi Trial, Transfers It to Saudi Arabia

ISTANBUL—A Turkish court on Thursday halted the trial of Saudi suspects over the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi and transferred it to Saudi Arabia. The decision was expected after the prosecutor called last week for the trial in absentia of 26 Saudi suspects to be transferred from Istanbul to Riyadh. The justice minister later endorsed the request, which was initially sought by Riyadh. Turkish officials said they believe Khashoggi was killed and his body dismembered in an operation which President Tayyip Erdogan said had been ordered at the “highest levels” of the Saudi government. Hatice Cengiz, Khashoggi’s Turkish fiancee who was waiting outside the consulate on Oct. 2, 2018, when he entered to retrieve documents for their upcoming marriage, said she was surprised and saddened by the decision. “The case was slowly coming to a halt in previous hearings … and I had begun to grow hopeless but I did …

Add a comment